Monday 28 September 2009

An afternoon in Knaresborough

We enjoyed a Sunday afternoon in Knaresborough.
Now a peaceful Market Town.
This must be one of the most photographed places in Yorkshire.
The famous bridge over the River Nidd
The name of Knaresborough has undergone many changes over the centuries. Its origins are traced from the time of the Domesday Book. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the town is written as Chenaresburg. Though the exact origin of the town's name is lost, its development through various different spellings can be traced through documents going back to the eleventh century.

I stood for ages waiting for the train to move away so I could photograph the station.
I got bored so this is the photo I took!

The castle was first built by a Norman baron on a cliff above the River Nidd.
The castle now pretty much lays in ruins, not much remains.
This is a small part of the castle. I love arches and architecture.


Walking by the river.




No comments:

Post a Comment